|Moffat Town :-
Amenities of Moffat
Return to :- [Moffat Homepage]
[Description] [Where We Are] [History] [People]
[Attractions] [Events] [Where To Stay] [Where To Eat]
[Moffat Business Index] [Amenities of Moffat]
St. Andrew's Parish Church :
Church Street, Moffat.
This Church of Scotland (Presbyterian) in Moffat was completed and dedicated to St. Andrew on 25th September 1887. It was the successor to two earlier foundations - the old 'Flying Spur Kirk' of 1790, slightly to the north, opposite the Black Bull Inn, and the ancient Parish Church that had stood since 1177 in the Old Churchyard to the south-east of the High Street in present Holm Street. The 'Flying Spur' was the crest of James Earl of Hopetoun, who had owned the land, so he had added it to the spire. A picture of the 'Flying Spur Kirk' hangs in the present Church. Remains of the ancient parish church can be seen in the old churchyard.
The 'Flying Spur' on the War Memorial.
Click on image for larger picture
The current church was built in neo-English Gothic style from Corncockle Quarry red sandstone and cost £ 14,000, this including the manse, the layout of the grounds and the furnishings. The doorway archways are finely carved and decorated with eighty sculptured heads - angels on the doorway stops of the West Door and gargoyles on the turrets. The clock and chimes in the church tower were added in 1932 as a gift from Mrs. Goldie Boag in memory of her husband the Minister of Tenandry in Perthshire. The Oregon Pine of the internal furnishings is a particularly attractive feature. Seating is provided for 1,150 persons.
The layout of the Church is typical of a Scottish Burgh Kirk, and indeed the Church has had associations with the former Burgh Council, finally endiong in 1974 with the ceremony when the Provost. Mr. Andrew Fingland, was awarded the Burgess Ticket and given the freedom of the Burgh.
The Faith, Hope and Charity West Window was designed for the Church, the Ingram organ in the East Gallery being fitted at that time. The pulpit has an embroidered Fall. Various gifts have enriched the Church - Communion Table and Chairs, Mr. Denholm's Font, Lectern and Bibles, Flower Vases and Stands, and the Praise Boards.
Furnishings from the Spur Kirk are preserved in St. Andrews, notably the 'Feed My Sheep' window in the South Transept, a memorial to Reverend John MacVicar (1853-1884). The North Transept 'David and Solomon' window recalls the Reverend Donald Bryce, Minister from 1884 to 1890. The South Transept has two other notable memorial windows - 'St. Francis and St. Ninian', for Reverend Robert Somers, Minister from 1891 to 1921, and the more modern design of window to Reverend John L. Farquhar (1926-1960).
Morning Service is held every Sunday at 11.15 a.m. with effect from 7th October 2001.
Services at Kirkpatrick Juxtra Church, Beattock, are held on Sunday at 9:45 a.m. and at Wamphray at 10 a.m.
During the months of June to September St. Andrew's Church is open daily to visitors. Our Stewards will be happy to show you more of our Church.
Please contact the Session Clerk or the Minister for further information.
Enquiries about this page can also be forwarded by e-mail through firstname.lastname@example.org
Moffat Business Index website designed and