Southwick Halt & Gatehouse :
Southwick Halt began its operational career as a minor passenger and goods stop for farms and hamlets along the valley
of the Southwick Burn down as far as the estate of Southwick and the village of Caulkerbush, seven miles distant on the
Solway Coast. It is probable that its main traffic was of milk and other farm produce, together with coal for a merchant
who supplied the area.
All this was to change in 1939, when the Halt became a major passenger station for staff working
in Unit 1 Southwick, the north-eastern half of the Ministry of Supply Factory Dalbeattie. When the factory closed in 1945,
the Halt reverted to its pre-war quiet, the closure of the Halt in 1974 ending the railway era. Now, the old station house
is a private dwelling and the roofless ruins of the Factory gatehouse mark the north-eastern extension of the old
Factory and its sidings. The area has been used on occasion for Police training exercises, but otherwise it has been
abandoned to nature.
Southwick Halt Gatehouse :
Constructed in 1939 like its counterpart at Edingham, this structure is on the north side of the railway line. There is a
three-port Type 26 pillbox against (but not part of) the gatehouse. To the southwest of the gatehouse is another building
and a third, that last one being the remains of the Search Room block for staff entering the works.